Human Resources - Hiring, firing, orientation and discipline are just the details
October 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Human Resources -- What It Often Is and What It Should Be
Human resources (HR) is often considered the department that merely hires and fires people, the one simply responsible for employee orientation and discipline, and the department that only keeps employee files. This is often thought to be the case even by corporate managers, associates and executives.
Sometimes, specifically in small businesses where resources are tight, HR is often unequipped with the tools and solutions required to do the day to day operations that it can--and should--be doing.
In addition to the basic responsibilities most people associate with an HR department, there are a variety of others that fit naturally with the department when the data and information they gather in employee files is considered.
What Your Human Resources Department Could Do With Employee Information
With the information human resources gathers, the department can do a great deal more than store employee files and wait for an audit. A human resources department should make employee information valuable and available to department heads. The information kept by an HR department is extremely valuable for promotions, firings, protection against litigation, and evaluating employee benefits.
It is this information that can help a company get the most out of its employees. Organized, readily available information that the HR department has can help a company with performance reviews in relation to an employee's job description, behavioral history and an employee's work history including their attendance record and conduct issues.
More importantly, the information an HR department has can make certain that the right employees are promoted and put in management and leadership positions.
What Tools does an HR Department Require to Achieve All That?
Obviously, an HR department needs the right employee management software. The question is: what must that software be able to do? Using affordable, PC-based HR software that’s been specifically designed for small businesses, you could store:
- Basic Contact Information - Employee management software should have the ability to save all pertinent personal information in employee files including: name, address, phone, position, department, location, EEO details, hire date, birth date and manager within department.
- Emergency Contact Information - ECI should always be accessible quickly. Searching through paperwork is a waste of valuable time.
- Wage Rates & Salary/Promotion History - This should include all promotions and lateral moves, annual pay increases and bonuses.
- Employee Leave Time - Employee management software should be capable of easily tracking sick and personal leave, as well as vacation time.
- Certifications and Training - Software should allow HR to include employee files regarding both on-the-job training and certifications and those acquired prior to employment with the company.
- Incident Reports - HR software should have fields for on-the-job accidents as well as disciplinary measures taken by management as the result of an employee's actions.
- Reminders - Software capable of reminding the HR department of birthdays, anniversaries, benefit eligibility, next performance review date, I-9 date, certification expiration dates and training start dates keep HR, the employee and management abreast of upcoming events.
- User Defined Fields - The ability to keep miscellaneous notes in respect to an employee is a must as each position and each employee has unique qualities and circumstances.
- Document Library and Reports - HR software should give the department the ability to quickly access files and reports. Sifting through hard copies--particularly when a company has dozens or even hundreds of employees--is tedious and inefficient.
- Separation Information - It is critical that HR software have a field for information regarding former employees who no longer work for the company. When that information is needed, it must be quickly accessible and thorough.
Staff Files makes employee recordkeeping simple. Try the free demo/trial edition of this easy and affordable employee management software today!
Have questions about Staff Files? Call us at 1-800-874-8801 or email us at email@example.com.